Companion Card is for people with severe and permanent disabilities. Through a partnership with select venues and facilities, NSW Transport for NSW will provide carers and companions with free tickets when cardholders purchase tickets. To apply for a Companion Card, complete the application form and mail it to the Companion Cards Program.
Eligibility for Companion Card
- If you have a severe or profound physical disability, you may be eligible for the Program.
- You must be an Australian citizen or resident and live in New South Wales to apply for this program.
- If the use of aids and other technologies does not meet your needs, you may be eligible to apply.
- If you desire support from someone throughout your life, you’re eligible.
How to apply for Companion Card
- Visit and download the PDF.
- Print and fill out the form and send it to us.
- As part of your application for a service or health program, your health care provider will need to complete some sections of the form.
- Gather any relevant documentation to support your application.
- Provide 2 passport photos with the signature and name of your service provider or health professional on the back of each photo.
- Submit your application via the designated mailing address.
- If there is a chance that you may become independent as a result of treatment/management, training, recovery, or developmental improvements, then you will not be issued the card.
- You can have someone else complete the application if you are unable to do so yourself.
- The card is issued in your name and you choose a carer or companion for each visit.
- When you buy or book tickets through an affiliate, you need to show them the card.
- If you are booking over the phone, make sure to tell the operator you have a Companion Card before you pay. Once you get to the venue, show your card to prove you are a Companion Card holder.
- You can request a replacement for your card if it has been lost, stolen, damaged, or if your photo needs updating.