Owner-Builder Permit

Owner-Builder Permit


You’ll need an Owner-Builder Permit if you want to supervise or do building work worth more than $10,000 on your home, if you’re not contracting the work a licensed builder to take care of the work. Before you apply to become an owner-builder, read the information provided on becoming an owner-builder. Familiarising yourself with this information will help speed up the processing of your application. You can submit applications for an Owner-Builder Permit online and at local service centres.

Eligibility for Owner-Builder Permit

  • You must be 18 years old to apply for an Owner-Builder Permit.
  • If you are the owner of the land or a joint owner of the company that owns the land, you can apply for an Builder Permit.
  • The property is not part of a multi-dwelling strata complex to which the Builder Permit applies.
  • You will live on the property after the building work is completed, for which you require an Owner-Builder Permit.
  • In some cases, you may need to demonstrate special circumstances to justify your application.
  • You must visit a service centre to apply for a building permit if the construction involves two units.

How to apply for Owner-Builder Permit

  • Visit the website.
  • In order to qualify, you must first determine who owns the land.
  • To access MyServiceNSW, please log in or create an account.
  • Ensure that your identity documents are valid.
  • The plan for the building work should be mentioned.
  • After scanning the documents, you can scan and attach the signed documents that are required.
  • Provide your payment information.

More information

  • When you apply online, you have to list all owners and If there is more than one owner on the proof of ownership document, all of them must sign all the pages.
  • The owner-builder is in charge of overseeing and supervising all tradespeople.
  • Ordering materials and the management of the building site is the responsibility of the owner builder.
  • A single-owner-builder permit may be issued within a five-year period.

Share This Post