The certificate indicates that you were not married in NSW during a specified time period. If you plan to marry someone you meet overseas, or if you return to your home country to get married, you might need a single status certificate. You can visit a service centre to apply for a single status certificate or you can apply by mail. You cannot receive it from a service center.
Eligibility for single status certificate
- If you are applying to get your own certificate, you must provide three copies of your identity documents.
- You will need to provide three copies of your identification if you apply on behalf of another person.
- You will need to provide 3 copies of identification from the person giving permission.
- You will need to receive a permission letter from the person named on the certificate, a signature with their address, and a phone number.
How to apply
- Download the application form and complete it by filling in all the data.
- Double-check to attach all the asked documents.
- Submit your application with the payment.
Fees of single status certificate
The fee depends on the length of time it takes to conduct a search to determine if you are single.
- A search for eligible single young people will start from the date you turned 16 until the present date.
- If you came to Australia after the 16, the search will begin from when you arrived in Australia.
- Your record will show both your previous marriages and divorces, so the search will start from the date of your last marriage.
- You should first check the legal requirements for marriage with the consulate, embassy, or local representative of the country where you will be marrying.
- If you decide to cancel your application, you will not be refunded your application fee.
- Your privacy is a concern of the registry. To protect it, the registry requires that you provide proof of your identity.
- The National Document Verification Service verifies the authenticity of certain documents.
Commonly Asked Questions
What is a Single Status Certificate?
A Single Status Certificate is a legal document that proves that an individual is not currently married or in a registered relationship. It is commonly used for marriage or migration purposes.
Who can apply for a Single Status Certificate in NSW?
Anyone who is over 18 years old and is not currently married or in a registered relationship can apply for a Single Status Certificate in NSW.
How can I apply for a Single Status Certificate?
You can apply for a Single Status Certificate in NSW online, by mail, or in person at the Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. Just make sure you have the necessary identification and payment ready.
How long does it take to get a Single Status Certificate?
It usually takes 10 business days to process a Single Status Certificate in NSW, but it may take longer during peak periods.
Can I get a Single Status Certificate if I have been married or in a relationship before?
No, you cannot get a Single Status Certificate if you have been married or in a registered relationship before. You will need to provide a divorce or annulment certificate or a death certificate of your former spouse or partner to prove your single status.
What happens if my Single Status Certificate application is denied?
If your Single Status Certificate application is denied, you will need to provide additional documentation to prove your single status. This may include divorce or annulment certificates or a statutory declaration.
Can I use my Single Status Certificate for international purposes?
Yes, you can use your Single Status Certificate for international purposes such as getting married overseas or applying for a visa. Just make sure to check with the relevant authorities to see if they require any additional documentation.
Is a Single Status Certificate the same as a Certificate of No Impediment?
No, a Single Status Certificate is not the same as a Certificate of No Impediment. A Certificate of No Impediment is a document that certifies that there are no legal impediments to a person getting married in a foreign country.
What should I do if I lose my Single Status Certificate?
If you lose your Single Status Certificate, you can apply for a replacement online, by mail, or in person at the Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. Just be prepared to provide additional identification and payment for the replacement.